HD Ratings: Three Narrows News Gap

On Wednesday Three’s Newshub Live was only 1.1 rating points behind 1 News at 6pm in the 25-54 demographic and one-tenth of a point behind in the 18-49 demo.

It rated a 25-54 average of 6.8% versus 1 News’ 7.9%, and an 18-49 average of 5.5% vs 5.6%.

In the 18-39 demo, Newshub Live won, 6.3% vs 4.4%.

This is the closest the contest has been in months, with the gaps in all the core demos, except 18-39, usually being several points at least.

The only key demo in which 1 News maintained its margin was household shoppers with kids: 8.8% vs 5.9%. With viewers 5+, the demo that’s less important to advertisers but accounts for total eyeballs, 1 News was three times as popular (14.7% vs 5.0%).

But the race in the key demos widened at 7.00, when the new-look Seven Sharp drew nearly twice as many 25-54 viewers as The Project: 6.1% vs 3.6%; with 18-49, it was 4.2% vs 2.9%; and with 18-39, 3.9% vs 2.0%.

Only among HHS/k were the two competitive: 5.1% vs 4.6%.

Re-runs of Modern Family are still underperforming as Newshub Live’s lead-in. Wednesday’s episode averaged 0.5% of 25-54 compared to The Chase’s 6.8% and Home and Away’s 4.3%.

MF lead-in The Block Australia is rating higher, with Wednesday’s episode averaging 1.2% of 25-54 and Tuesday’s, 2.0% vs MF’s 0.4%, although it still lost to the TVNZ competition.

The rest of the night belonged to TVNZ 2, with its line-up of Shortland Street and 7.30 movie The Intern scooping all the core demos except 18-39, which opted for Three’s House Rules.

Three’s premiere of Swipe Right for Murder proved competitive, finishing behind The Intern but averaging 3.1% of 25-54, 2.4% of 18-49,  2.8% of 18-39 and 4.1% of HHS/k.

It out-rated TVNZ 1’s doco line-up in all the core demos and beat TVNZ 2’s movie in the 18-39 stakes.

TVNZ 2 won the night with a 25.6% share of 25-54, a 25.2% share of 18-49 and a 28.1% share of HHS/k while Three was tops with 18-39.

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply